The Topsfield Fair is the oldest County Fair in the country and has been a tradition of ours since we moved here. This year marked our 28th fair. It runs for 10 days and ends on Columbus Day. I thought we might not make it this year but the weather was beautiful so we took advantage of it today. Please click on the photos for a closer look.
We always start out with the flower barn. I find it very peaceful and a nice escape from the hubbub of the fair.
We try to hit the buildings early before they get too crowded. Next is the vegetable building. Every year the great pumpkin makes an appearance. I thought it might not be as big this year due to all the rain but below is another record setting pumpkin. When I look at it I can envision the growers hovering and worrying about it all during the growing season.
In the veggie building the scouting troops make creations out of plants. There are a ton. These are some of my favorites.
Another favorite is the sand sculpture. This is started on day one of the fair. The sand artist does his thing while people mill about. I have taken one each year since I’ve gone digital. I keep thinking I’ll put them together. Maybe when I have some free time;) One advantage of going on the last day is we got to see the finished product.
I couldn’t resist the John Deere miniatures for Gary. There was a whole display so this is a teaser.
My favorite part of the fair are the Hallamore Clydesdales. Much to the dismay of my family I could stand there and watch these gentle giants all day. These are some pics of them getting ready to tour the fair grounds and coming out of the arena. They are quite breathe taking. I hope you enjoyed my little sample of our fair.
Looks like a very nice day. Kelly is following in the JD footsteps. Our living room floor has tractors parked at the corners of the couch.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great day! What a nice tradition. Love the flower barn. Very nice!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed my virtual day at the Topsfield Fair. It looks like a REAL fair unlike the one we have in our town.
ReplyDeleteI too love to watch the big horses. My favorites are the Percherons but think they are all beautiful.
And you get sand carvings.... we get butter carvings. We will have to attend this fair someday.