Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Bountiful Harvest?

2009-08-13 001 001 2009-08-13 001 003

It’s been a long wait but I finally got to have some summer squash. They certainly were worth the wait. A big thank you to Mom and Dad for bringing me their plants to give me a good start. There are more on the vine just waiting to be picked.

My big problem this summer was slugs. It was so rainy early in the season that they were out of control. Mark put out some containers of beer for a few days and that did the trick. Apparently they’re attracted to the yeast in the beer. The first few mornings was pretty gross. I suppose they at least died happy.

2009-08-13 001 0042009-08-13 001 005

2009-08-13 001 006

 

My tomatoes have not fared as well. They’re pretty pathetic, skinny, sparse… I remain hopeful that I will enjoy the few that are there before the first frost. Every year my indoor plants vacation on the deck. My hibiscus have been loving this weather.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love summer squash! I'll have to try those next summer.

    ReplyDelete