I found this great banana bread recipe that I finally got around to trying. I’ll post the recipe at the end of this. It tastes almost like ginger bread. I enjoyed it warm with peanut butter, Mark liked it with whipped cream. I made it without the glaze which I bet is really good.
Life at our house has been status quo…work, chores and work, not too exciting to blog about. I think I mentioned before that I have really gotten into bike riding. I continue to do it as many times a week as I can as long as it’s not raining. I have ridden in the 30’s with earmuffs under my helmet and tears in my eyes from the cold but I feel so much better after a ride that it’s worth it. A typical ride is a little over 5 miles. I’ve even managed a few rides after a day of being on my feet at work because it helps me to decompress.
One goal that I had was to break the 10 mile mark which I did on Halloween, 10.14 miles. As we get closer to winter I know that riding outside is not going to be possible so in preparation we have invested in an exercise bike. This bike has built in workouts and can be customized. It is extremely quiet which was a big draw for us. I will continue to ride outside as long as possible because for me the wind in my face, fresh air and the sounds of nature are all part of the package but I’ll be ready as that will soon not be possible.
SPICED BANANA BREAD WITH MAPLE-CINNAMON GLAZE
Banana Bread
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 egg
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
Maple-Cinnamon Glaze
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan; set aside.
2. For Bread: Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine egg, bananas, sugar, oil, and salt. Stir in reserved dry ingredients and mix just until all ingredients are moist. Batter will be lumpy. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool 10 more minutes. Prepare glaze while bread is cooling.
5. For Glaze: Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside. Place syrup and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally and until completely blended. Using a pastry brush, brush top and sides of warm bread all over with glaze. Sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar mixture and let cool. Cut bread into slices to serve. Makes 1 loaf, serving 12-14.
That bread looks fabulous! And I love your new bike. Great idea to keep the workouts going through the winter. It's so hard to get motivated when it's dark and cold outside!
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work with the biking!
ReplyDelete